At the Feet of a King

By: Bro. Aaron Gardner, 32°, MPS


It’s amazing what pure exhaustion can do to ones mind. People have been known to hear voices, see things that aren't there, headaches, the list goes on. Once someone finally gets some rest, they may or may not dream. If they dream it may be a wild ride. While stationed at Fort Sill, Oklahoma I was suffering from Sleep deprivation. 

My unit was revving up for deployment, I was a busy Soldier and I was a brand new Master Mason trying to learn the Craft. I rarely slept at night and during the day I was busy preparing all my gear, equipment and self to go over seas. I had to take my Soldier to CIF (Central Issue Facility) to receive some of his gear, I told him I would wait for him in my car, left the windows cracked, shut the car off and kicked my seat back so I could get some rest. It wasn't going to be anything more than a half hour or so, but when you get the opportunity to rest in the Army— you rest. 

The dream came almost instantly. There I was driving in my car with my NCO (Noncommissioned Officer) on a street I drove frequently in Lawton, Oklahoma. My NCO is a PHA Freemason, but that never mattered much to either of us. He was a brother in my unit and a brother in an apron, regardless of where he attended lodge. While driving in the dream, I was pulled over by the Police. Unsure of what I did wrong I asked the Officer the purpose. The Officers didn’t respond, instead told my NCO to stay in the car and for me to step out and follow.  Just as the Officer began to pull his cuffs, I noticed a necklace poke out from his shirt. It wasn’t so much of a necklace as it was Masonic regalia. The Jewel on the chain was a Square and Compass, the other Police Officer had one too. I saw the cuffs being pulled out, and I gave the GHSD, What was I being arrested for? 

My NCO, seeing the whole ordeal and my hand signals, jumped out of the car. “What’s going on Bro?” He asked in more of an authoritative voice than a question. The other officer grabbed him, threw a black bag over both of our heads and threw us in the back of van. The sirens blared as I felt the van whip in and out of traffic down the road. When we stopped I found us in a darkened room. No police in sight. Just a spiral stair case. 

Investigating our new surroundings my NCO and I wandered the stairs. From what I could gather the stairs were perfect resemblance of what you learn in Freemasonry. At the top were two hollow pillars and a large double oak door. I knocked with no response. I tried to open the door and it was unlocked, we wandered in to find a rather large, dark lodge room, the floor mosaic in nature. My NCO told me that we shouldn't be here and that we should we leave, yet I felt right at home. I walked in, sat down in the Northeast corner and took in the magnificent view.  He sat next to me and told me we should get going. I looked at him, and it was as if he knew that I didn’t want to leave. I walked to the altar in the middle of the room, knelt and prayed. What I was praying for, I am still unsure. I just knew I had to pray. I wasn’t expecting an answer or any sign, just felt like I was exactly where I was supposed to be. 

When I finished my prayer, I returned to the seat I was originally in and waited. I don’t know what I was waiting for, maybe for the lights to turn on by themselves, I don’t know. I told my NCO we will wait a little while longer and leave. He agreed silently and walked out of the lodge room to give me space and allow myself to reflect on my thoughts. 

Just as I was walking out the door, an entourage of men in robes were walking past me. They wore white aprons and took seats in the lodge room. I continued to walk in the direction of the stairs when another group of men in robes were walking past. I felt the sudden urge to kneel before one of the men. Being a proud man, I am not one to bow to anyone, but this man had an appeal toward him that I knew too well. He dressed like the others, looked like the others, but I knew he wasn’t. I began to speak to the silent man on my knees, “Your Majesty King Solomon how I am honored to be graced by your presence.”  

He took my hand in the grip of a Master Mason and still did not speak. I followed him into that chamber and took the only seat available— my original seat in the Northeast corner.  How lucky I am, about to impart on knowledge and enlightenment. The King took his seat in the East and gaveled the lodge to open. The Master was about to speak, my journey was about to begin. 

He spoke in something I could not understand. His words were not of any language in this world. His tone was loud, as if he were yelling. He spoke to everyone in the room, but what he said was directed at me. His words were not just words, they were images and symbols. He spoke of different countries and wars. Wars that had not yet begun. His voice was speaking to my heart, and though I couldn't understand what was happening, I understood what he was saying in my heart. His images were of my life, the worlds future and the worlds past. I felt overwhelmed with emotion from the words, images and symbols he spoke of my personal journey. 

I awoke by a call on my cellphone. I wiped tears from my eyes, looked at the time and realized what felt like hours in my dream had only been twenty minutes. My Soldier was ready to go and was looking for my car. I tried to find a reason for my dream, tried to understand how I could understand pictures and symbols that seemingly applied to me at the time. It was as if the tone deaf King was speaking directly toward me. 

The dream proved to be beneficial, It did speak of my personal quest and journey and answered a lot of the questions I had at the time. It still is answering some questions as time goes by. When something happens, I have to try to remember why I already knew something about it and I remember kneeling before a King. 

What I experienced some would say is a symptom of sleep deprivation, or that I had been studying Freemasonry too hard and should take a break. Some may even want to throw me into the looney bin. Though all this may have been true at the time, I have to believe that it came to me at the perfect time. That I had a true esoteric experience with my conciseness and myself answered the pending questions through a way that only I could appreciate and understand, my "Burning Bush" moment. Through a way my mind would grasp the lessons I would be learning, and that was at the feet of the wise King Solomon in the Sanctum Santorum. 


AG