Complications Heading Home

Things have been pretty hectic in my little world as of lately.I have recently ETSed (End Term of Service) out of Active Duty and started heading back to Michigan to live my life as a civilian. Well, not a complete civilian; I did reenlist into the Army Reserve. 

Though things seemed to be going according planned, I ran into a few hiccups. Over a six-thousand dollar hiccup, to be exact. When I was supposed to be starting my Terminal Leave I was stuck at Fort Sill trying to finish out-processing the Army. It was a little bit difficult when my Household Goods shipment picked up all of my military gear to take back to Michigan. The gear included my helmet, sleeping bag, cold and wet weather gear and various other pieces of gear the Army wanted back from me. Normally, if the monetary amount isn't too bad the Army will just charge for the gear and it would be an easy fix. However, it was a substantial amount and the Army could not simply just write up a statement of charges. I had to somehow produce all the gear that I was missing. 

I will not get into the nitty gritty details of why my gear was on it’s way to Michigan, nor will I excuse my stupidity for allowing it to leave Oklahoma. I will tell you that, when finding out exactly how much the gear was worth, I immediately started making phone calls to try and locate it before it reached it’s destination. I found myself en route to Witchita Falls, Texas, where my shipment was being held before it left the Texhoma area. This was an utter failure. Even though I called ahead of time, talked to the shipping company and was told the shipment wouldn't be sent out until I get there and can locate the gear— it was already gone. The employees at the company called the drivers to find out exactly where they were to see if I could somehow catch up to them. It was, yet again, a failure, as they were already at the Michigan border.

The only other options were to have my grandfather go through it and mail it back to me or I drive up to Michigan and get it myself. I probably could have had my grandpa send it, but it's been over 50 years since my grandpa really knew anything about Army gear. If I told him exactly what I needed him to send, he would have no clue what he was looking at. On top of that, he would have to wash the gear and mail it back and GATOU only knows how long that would take. So I took the burden upon myself to retrieve the gear; it is my gear after all and if anyone needs to take responsibility for it, that would be me. 

It’s funny how bureaucracy works, when you need something to be done, it takes forever; The Army needs something to be done, it takes the matter of an hour. I have never seen a leave form signed so quickly in my life. I started getting a hold of people while I was driving back to Oklahoma from Texas to get the ball on the road, so I can hit the road as soon as humanly possible. By the end of the day I had a leave form in my hand, ready to go for the next morning with one stipulation: I had the leave form ready to go under one stipulation. I had to wait until 0500 hrs. before I could actually leave. This was for my safety to be sure I got plenty of rest before the long 18 hour drive I had ahead of myself. I am glad I got that rest as I wouldn't have made it. So, a little shout out to 1SG Carter (though I doubt he reads this), thanks for looking out for me.

While I was driving to Michigan I had the pleasure of talking to Emily every chance she got, which kept me motivated and awake for the trip. Then there was one phone call that came through while I was still about three states away from reaching my destination: the moving company. They called to confirm the address of drop off and to set up a date. Yet again, the fastest a bureaucracy works is always when it is best for them and not for you. I was thrilled that I could get my gear a little sooner than I anticipated, so I could get back on the road and turn it in quickly and be home for good. Yet, I was also a little let down because it shortened the time that I was going to be there for this trip. So I wouldn't be obligated to the United States Army any longer. I did get the weekend at home, which was nice. Now, I just had to get back to Oklahoma so I could be home in Michigan on leave for Easter. 

Easter has a special meaning to me and my mother. Perhaps one day I will expound upon the details of how that came to be, but for now it is sufficient to say, it would be rather symbolic if I came home for Easter this year. My new goal was to be home to make that symbolic ritual occur. I rushed all the way back to Oklahoma to find everyone on a four day weekend. There were to be no business actions to help me turn in my outstanding gear. (Talk about the nature of bureaucracy.) It looked like I will not be home for Easter to make that symbolic return home. 

Though my mom would be disappointed, I was enthralled with disgust and anger. Here I am rushing around trying to get things done and it felt the Army was only getting what they needed to get done for themselves. There was nothing I could do about it, so I had to calm myself and just keep pushing forward.

After the weekend was finished I did manage to get all my gear turned in and was on my way out. After the weekend was finished, I thought I had just a couple more stops and a few signatures to get, but I was sent on another wild goose chase.  After completing these tasks, I could finally be on my way. 

The trip to the Northeast was far more relaxing. If you have ever driven away from where all your stress originates, you know exactly what it feels like for it all to be lifted off your shoulders. I was able to talk to Emily for the majority of the trip and set up a meeting with Brother Robert Johnson (Whence Came You and The Midnight Freemasons), Brother Robert Walk (Freemasonry & Humble Pie and The Midnight Freemasons) and Brother Brian Schimian (The Midnight Freemasons). There will be more about this meeting and the Symposium we all attended in another article for The Midnight Freemasons, as well as an article by Bro. Brian about the same encounter.

Now, back in Michigan I have less stress and less worries. I can prepare myself for the future of unknowns and look forward to Emily coming here this summer. I am thoroughly excited to be home and ready to share my experiences with anyone who will listen. A new chapter in my book has just begun and I need to write it with extreme attentiveness; as it is a blank page and the turning point in my long dedication to the Army. A turning point for my life. 

AG